-
September 22nd, 2004, 02:03 AM
#1441
Inactive Member
-
September 22nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
#1442
Inactive Member
TZ, you need to come back to iRO nowthat we have a guild!
And yeah, the CDs isn't soemthing I like. Harder/less safe to carry around, unlike cartridges which you just throw in your pocket. And since I pick my portables based on in school/ out of home usage, PSP=teh loserr right now.
-
September 22nd, 2004, 10:36 AM
#1443
HB Forum Owner
ROM = expensive, optical discs = cheap; carts may break if they fall, while optical discs may break if deformed. ROMs are usually low capacity, optical discs can be very large. So FMV, PCM music, and voices are very expensive and limited in the former, and easily done with the later. RPGs usually have them. So I prefer optical discs.
-
September 22nd, 2004, 11:54 AM
#1444
Senior Hostboard Member
And besides, the PSP's using the UMD (Universal Media Disc) which measures in 2.4 inches, but holds 1.8Gb. They're not like CD's, they're cuter.
-
September 22nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
#1445
Inactive Member
In my handhelds, I prefer cartridges, for portability purposes.
And I've dropped my Fire Emblem GBA cart many times, but it's never been damaged.
-
September 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM
#1446
Senior Hostboard Member
I feel the DS's touch-screen, microphone functions and superior battery life will give the PSP a run for its money. Im glad Sony are providing a challenge though, the competition has definately cued Nintendo to bring out an even better handheld product, whereas before they dominated the market and could get away with slowly upgrading their successful gameboy design.
-
September 22nd, 2004, 03:22 PM
#1447
Inactive Member
I'm gonna get a DS first and wait for PSP too Xellos. Plus PSP is using CDs so I'm kinda weary about thier battery life. /shrug
And I love Jubilee god dammit!
-
September 22nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
#1448
Inactive Member
carts may break if they fall? what're you shittin me? when i was a kid i'd get pissed off at some games, throw the cart at a wall and watch it hit the floor from there, and it'd still work like it was brand new. discs get scratched all the time. only issues i ever had with carts was freezing and that was when one of the following would happen:
*cart was dirty inside(full of dust)
*cat jumps off bed onto console while im just about to beat castlevania 3 for the first time(things lucky i never got to it afterward [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] )
*unstable cheat device codes
and thats about it.
cd games freeze from scratches that can occur just by pulling it out and puting it back in its case or whatever, cuz i can't explain how they get scratched otherwise.(unless my bro borrows em)
-
September 23rd, 2004, 12:29 AM
#1449
Inactive Member
I think that we should go back to carts, due to the fact that they are easier to keep up with, just give us plastic cases with them, that way we can keep them clean. I bought plastic cases from a third party for all of my N64 games. And if they want to include DVD/CD player and the like then they should have a seperate port. Otherwise carts blows CDs out of the water.
-
September 23rd, 2004, 01:07 AM
#1450
HB Forum Owner
Some carts may break if they're hit in a corner. But the main problem is they are very expensive to produce, even today, compared to optical discs. A 128 MB ROM is expensive already. This means higher prices and lower profits for game makers. And don't even think of doing FMV, voices, or PCM music unless you want to waste the few space you have. Ever thought why does SoA on GC sound much worse than the DC? Well and that's just for a smaller optical disc. We just can't have huge 3D RPGs in carts, even without nice FMV, without voices (which are becoming a standard for quality RPGs today), and with crappy music. Without epic masterpieces such as Xenosaga or Grandia II, why do I need a new console?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks